Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Vegan MoFo Day 16 - Vegan Cheese Sauce

I’ve been trying different vegan cheese sauces recipes out there and I’ve come up with my own.  I really like the combination of the potatoes and carrots to give it the orange color and the texture.  I think the grapeseed oil helps with the smoothness.  I’m not a huge fan of the nutritional yeast taste so I only put a little in my version. 




Vegan Cheese Sauce
1 potato, diced
2 med carrots, diced  (or 1 large)
2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tablespoons water (use the reserve cooking water first)
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt



Instructions:
Boil the potatoes and carrots in salted water until soft.  Drain keeping the liquid on reserve to use for the water.

Add the potatoes, carrots, grapeseed oil, water, and seasonings in a high speed blender.  Blend until very smooth.  Use some of the reserved water if needed to thin out if necessary.

Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.  Heat over medium low heat or in the microwave if you want it warm.  This makes about 1 cup of sauce.


I was craving the broccoli and cheese sauce I used to eat with my family from the frozen food section.  (The one where you could boil the packed or pierce it and microwave it.)  So, I steamed up a bunch of broccoli and I put my vegan cheese sauce on it and coated it well.  Oh my – it totally hit the spot!  It’s as good as it looks!


No comments:

Post a Comment